Scot.E3 has signed up to a statement on the G7 summit that is taking place in Cornwall between the 11th – 13th of June. Please follow the link and add your name and if possible get your organisation to sign too.
G7 the world is watching
The countries meeting at the G7 in Cornwall between June 11th -13th comprise just 10% of the world’s population but hold 62% of the world’s wealth and spend more on their militaries than the rest of the world put together.
They are responsible for
– the lions share of historical carbon emissions
– and are still investing over $100 billion a year into coal, gas and oil.
If the world is to avoid catastrophic climate breakdown the G7 meeting needs not only to commit to
– single mindedly going flat out for domestic transition to sustainability, but also to
– stop financing and subsidising fossil fuels and
– pay its dues to the international community; including the $100 billion a year pledged at Copenhagen for the developing world to cope both with immediate climate impacts and to develop without fossil fuels and
– seek global co-operation not conflict.
Claims to “global leadership” will be judged the world over against these benchmarks.
I/we call on the G7 to meet them
The online link can be found here.
Scot.E3 is also part of the Edinburgh COP 26 Coalition which is organising for a solidarity rally at the Scottish Parliament at 11am on Saturday 12th June